Nurses Week happens each year from May 6-12. The first national recognition of nurses took place in 1954 and the method of doing so has changed a few times in the years since then.
We want to honor all of the wonderful nurses out there for all the hard work they put in to ensure the health of kids in our community — especially during this time of sickness throughout the world. We know that many of you feel the same way, so here are a few ways that you can give the nurses and medical workers in your life a thank you for everything they do.
- Send them a note — These people spend most of their day trying to help people feel better. You may make their day with this simple action that costs nothing but time and gratitude. Try to think of a specific situation that they made you or someone in your family feel better. If you want to take it to another level, you could send the letter of thanks to their boss or manager.
- Use the theme — Each year, Nurses Week has a specific theme. The theme for 2020 is “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Nursing the World to Health.” You may be able to use this theme to come up with a unique way to thank that special person.
- Healthcare workers often work long hours and spend all of that time thinking about someone else. At the end of a long day, the last thing you want to do is think about making dinner right? This might give you an opportunity to help out. In this time of social distancing, you may not be able to take them a plate of cookies or home-cooked meal, but there are other options. Instead you could have something delivered to their place of work, or maybe just send them a gift card to one of their favorite places — maybe even a grocery store.
- Relaxation — Have you ever heard of caregiver burnout? It can be a real issue for some healthcare workers. It is frequently related to dealing with constant stress. One of the best ways to eliminate stress is with a massage. You might consider sending that person a gift certificate for a massage, yoga class, or some other way for them to get a little bit of relaxation.
Here are some other ideas that you might give some consideration:
- Plant a tree in their honor
- Nominate them for an award
- Get them some cell phone sanitizer, a badge clip, compression socks, or any of the gift ideas on this list from nurse.org.
We Love Our Staff
We want to give a special thank you to the nurses that work with us! They are all passionate about what they do, and always provide incredible care to our patients. We couldn’t survive without them! If you recognize one of these amazing ladies be sure to show your appreciation during this nurses week!